Course Description

A seminar course intended for entering students in the Environmental Science and Environmental Studies majors. This course will introduce the field of study, both as general field to spend your life within as well as the particulars of the Environmental Science and Environmental Studies majors at UD. The seminar also serves as a First-Year-Experience for incoming majors.


Topics covered


Environmental science at UD, college study skills, getting used to UD faculty, survey of environmental problems and how we study them.

 

Ensc 101 Introduction to the Environment

Fall 2011

2:00–3:15 Tuesday & Thursday

130 Sharp Lab


Syllabus


Schedule


Office Hours


Textbook: J. Withgott & S. Brennan, 2009. Essential Environment: The Science behind the Stories, 3rd ed. Pearson


Assignments: Two two-page papers, the first due October 20 and the second due December 1. Topics will be chosen from a provided list, with room for customization.


Troublesome words reference


Tests: Three short tests, tentatively October 13, November 17, and during final exam week. Final Exam will be Thursday, December 15, 1:00 – 3:00.


Grades: An attendance/participation score will count for 5% of the grade. The remaining 95% is equally divided among the five papers and tests.


Hanson Home Page