Course Description

A seminar course intended for entering students in the Environmental Science and Environmental Studies majors. This course will introduce the field of study, both as general field to spend your life within as well as the particulars of the Environmental Science and Environmental Studies majors at UD. The seminar also serves as a First-Year-Experience for incoming majors.


Topics covered


Environmental science at UD, college study skills, getting used to UD faculty, survey of environmental problems and how we study them.

 

Ensc 101 Introduction to the Environment

Fall 2012

2:00–3:15 Tuesday & Thursday

108 Memorial Hall


Syllabus


Schedule


Office Hours


Textbook: J. Withgott & M. Laposata, 2012. Essential Environment: The Science behind the Stories, 4th ed. Pearson


Assignments: Two two-page papers, the first due October 18 and the second due November 29. Topics will be chosen from a provided list, with room for customization.


Tests: Three short tests, tentatively October 11, November 15, and during final exam week (December 13, 1:00).


Grades: An attendance/participation score will count for 5% of the grade, partly based on answering some questions on Sakai. The remaining 95% is equally divided among the five papers and tests.


Other Resources


Hanson Home Page